Thursday, July 26, 2012

christmas in july….

I started this project last Christmas, and like a lot of projects, it got set aside, only to be forgotten about until I saw the recent Christmas in July challenge at Bitten by the Bug 2. We have an abundance of boards around our house from TKD testing – we are proud of our board breaks and I am always convinced that I can come up with something cool to do with them – I think that I succeeded this time! I started with a broken board and painted it red with making memories cranberry acrylic paint. I inked around the edges with firehouse brick distress ink. I like the simplicity of silhouettes, so I cut out the Santa from Joys of the Season and left him as is, without adding any layers. I mounted him on patterned paper that I got from a Christmas pack that I picked up at Michael's. I think it was by Recollections but I am sorry I can’t remember and can’t find the cover for the pack. I attached the paper and Santa to the wood with modge podge. Without a doubt the hardest part for me in any project is the embellishments. Heck it’s the hardest part for me anywhere in my life…I always seem to struggle with that extra oomph. I prefer simple, but I am afraid of too simple….you know what I mean, some people do simple sooo well and for others it just looks plain. I am working on doing it well….I used spare parts ribbon from Hobby Lobby and lastly I cut paper roses from BG wassail using  CTMH Art Philosophy. Thanks for looking and have a great day!
christmas in july challenge

10 comments:

  1. this is lovely, that lace with roses is a nice touch, thanks for joining us at BBTB2, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fab!Love Santa's silhouette and the pretty flowers.
    Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! I love how you decided to make the sants into a sihouette! He looks amazing that way and I just love the lace and roses-such a nice touch. Now you can say you do simple really well too! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and very pretty. Great job. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this mom! :)
    ~Nora <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the lace and the Santa silhouette. Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous project! Love the silhouette and the embellies are perfect. Thanks for sharing with BBTB2. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geat project,,your right sometimes less is more...when it feels right it ususally is....Thanks for sharing...

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project! Love the Santa silhouette and the pretty roses! Thanks for sharing with us at BBTB2!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us at BBTB2
    Juliex

    ReplyDelete